Frequently Asked Questions

A few questions regarding N-registration, FAA license / ratings and TSA approval in Europe.

Read also the latest news page... Here

Questions regarding N-registration aircraft in Europe

I'm a Dutch citizen, can I own an N-reg airplane and operate it in Europe?
No, you must either be a US citizen or green card holder and resides in the USA to own a N-registered airplane.

So how can I own and operate a N-reg airplane in Europe?
N-reg aircraft around the world are owned by trust ownership.

What is the advantage of having N-reg in Europe?
The main reason is the simplified maintenance regime for owners. This will make it cheaper for owners to own and operate N-reg in Europe.
Other major benefits are Easier installation of modifications and easier STCd aftermarket accessories which are already approved in the USA but aren't in Europe (EASA approved).

Can I fly N-reg airplane on my EASA Private pilot?
Yes, as long as you fly inside the Dutch airspace you can use your Dutch License. If you leave Dutch airspace then you must be in possession of a valid US FAA licence.
Please read this letter from the FAA

Is it legal to operate a US registered (N-reg) aircraft in the EU?
Yes, as long as the aircraft has the usual documentation (ARROWE)
- Airworthiness
- Registration
- Radio Licence
- Ownersmanual (approved Aircraft Flight Manual from your plane)
- Weight and Balance calculation
- Equipment list if applicable
- Maintenance records
- Evidence of Import VAT Paid of the airplane

  • Last update: NOVEMBER 18, 2021

Questions regarding FAA Licenses and Ratings:

Is there an Designated Pilot Examiner (DPE) available in Europe?
Yes there is.

What are the options for getting an FAA Private Pilot's Licence (or Private Pilot Certificate as it's properly called)?
There are two options. The first is an FAA licence based on an existing ICAO licence (often referred to as a 'validation' or 14 CFR § 61.75 licence). The second is a standalone FAA Private Pilot Certificate. I recommend a full faa license

Can I get a validation (61.75) for Commercial or ATPL?
No. Whatever grade of EASA licence you hold you can only obtain a validation Private Pilot Certificate.

I have an Instrument Rating on my Dutch Private Pilot License, can I add this to my validation?
Yes you can. You must take a written knowledge test and then it can be added to your validation licence.

I have a validation (issued under 14 CFR § 61.75), license based on my EASA PPL, can I train and get my FAA instrument rating here in Europe?
Yes you can and I can help you with that, You need to have met the experience requirements and pass the written knowledge test and take the flight test. The Instrument Rating will be added to your validation license and marked as US Test Passed. The knowledge test have to be done in US and the Flight Test can be done in Europe with an FAA Designated Pilot Examiner (DPE).

I have a validation (issued under 14 CFR § 61.75) license (EASA PPL), do I need a flight review when flying my n-reg airplane?
Yes, In this case of a License Validation issued under 14 CFR § 61.75, you acknowledge that CFR 61.56 of the FAA regulations requires that you must receive a Flight Review conducted by a current and authorized certified FAA flight Instructor prior to exercising the privileges of the FAA license and every 24 calendar months thereafter and meet all the requirements of CFR 61.57 and if privileges of a Non FAA IR are included (IFP), the Instrument Proficiency Check as well.

Can I do an FAA Flight Review (formerly known as BFR) in an EASA registered airplane?
Yes you can. FAR 61.56 does not state that you must be in a US registered airplane.

Can I do a Flight Review without an FAA medical?
Yes you can. In this case I as an instructor have to act as PIC.

I don't have access to an airplane to do a Flight Review, can you assist finding an airplane for me?
Yes I can.

I'm thinking to buy a PA28 and have it on N-registration, I currently hold FAA PPL and instrument rating and no EASA licenses. Can I just fly under my FAA licenses and operate it in Europe?
Pilots holding a licence and an aeromedical certificate issued by a third country (for example the USA) are still allowed to use their licences for non-commercial-operation of aircraft in those EASA Member States which elected to permit so, based on a so-called ‘opt-out’ – provision in the Aircrew Regulation. The European Commission, EASA and the Member States have planned to extend the validity period of this opt-out (currently until 8 April 2017) until 8 April 2022.
Pilots holding such a third country licence are advised to contact their national aviation authorities in order to receive further information on the individual use of the said opt-out by their Member States.

Note: ICAO Article 33: (Recognition of Certificates and Licences) Certificates of airworthiness, certificates of competency and licensees issued or validated by the state in which the aircraft is registered, shall be recognized as valid by other states. The requirements for the issuing of those certificates or airworthiness, certificates of competency or licensees must be equal to or above the minimum standards established by the Convention.

Go to the News Page for more information Here

  • Last update: NOVEMBER 17, 2021

Questions regarding TSA AFSP:

What types of training requires TSA approval?
For light aircraft there are 3 training events that require TSA approval before starting the course.
1) - Initial Standalone FAA license
2) - Instrument Rating
3) - Multi Engine

How do I obtain TSA AFSP approval?
1) - Create a user account on TSA’s AFSP website Visit and create a login account by clicking on “Create New Student Account” (you will receive an account within few days)
2) - Apply for training on TSA’s AFSP website
3) - Look for training provider under New York (in this case BASIC6AVIATION) to acknowledge your training request
4) - Pay the $130 processing fee per training request. Allow 2-10 business days for processing
5) - Look for a “Preliminary Approval” email from TSA
6) - Submit fingerprints to TSA per instructions (you will have to visit an approved fingerprint collector to have your fingerprints taken)
7) - Wait for TSA to notify you and your training provider ot its decision.

How long does the whole TSA AFSP approval process take?
If you have submitted all the documents correctly it should take around 10 days.

Are you registered as a training provider with TSA AFSP?
Yes, I'm registered and have approval to initiate one of the courses that requires approval.

Can we start training while waiting for the approval from TSA?
No, we can't.

If you cannot find the answer to your question above or you need further information then please contact me.

  • Last update: OCTOBER 1, 2021